Frenchtown Center for Active Adults

Frenchtown Center for Active Adults (FCAA) is a private, non-profit Corporation organized to obtain and operate facilities to provide programs and activities for senior citizens.

The Center is organized to create effective relationships among participants, staff, governing bodies, and the community to achieve its purpose to host and plan programs that encourage the older adult to socialize and participate in activities designed to assist them to live more independent and interdependent lives.

The Challenge

The Frenchtown Center for Active Adults consists of several large multi-purpose rooms. One of the largest rooms is their dining room which contains over (20) troffer fixtures that were recently retrofitted from T12 fluorescent tubes to energy-efficient Toggled iQ direct-wire LED tubes. The tubes are hard-wired to several switches controlling multiple fixtures and zones capable of quickly transitioning lighting from traditional dining room needs to use cases such as movie viewing, dance and exercise activities and gaming. Because of the success of this installation, the team moved onto their next challenge of adding dimming capabilities to the activity room which was powered at 277 VAC. The team wanted to be able to dim or possibly even shut the lights off at the front of the room during Bingo night because players couldn’t see the numbers on the board.

Our Solution

The Toggled iQ® Networked Lighting Controls platform provides a simple, economical, and scalable solution that allows for the implementation of device-level/zone control, customization of predetermined lighting scenes, and an occupancy/vacancy-based lighting system capable of generating energy savings of over 70% vs. traditional fluorescent systems.

Toggled iQ LED tubes (120-277 VAC) were installed and quickly commissioned to enable smart Toggled iQ Networked Lighting Controls platform benefits. Toggled iQ LED tubes provide individual addressability, continuous dimming, control groups, personal control, control persistence, high-end trim, minimal light level, demand response readiness, light output monitoring, and are BACnet IP addressable.

Toggled iQ sensors enabled customizable occupancy/vacancy-based control. The sensors were installed and commissioned so that each of the activity centers rooms had the ability to turn the lights off at customized intervals of motion detection and back on at different durations of non-activity time frames. This provided smoother light transition periods, so that it wasn’t noticeable that the lights were going on and off throughout the day.

Toggled iQ switches (120-277 VAC) only require AC power to enable wireless control of any Toggled iQ device or group of devices. The switch allows for on/off, dimming, lighting scene creation/selection, and scheduling. This enabled the system to turn on/off as commissioned to accommodate business and non-business hours and create preset custom lighting scenes capable of dimming the front of the room during bingo night so gamers could more easily see the selected numbers.

The Toggled iQ app is a free downloadable mobile phone-based interface that enables an easy installation and commissioning process. After the completion of the initial setup, management and activity center staff had the ability to customize and control their lighting preferences as desired.

Results

The initial Toggled iQ LED tubes installation generated an immediate energy savings of over 50% from traditional T12 fluorescents. The addition of Toggled iQ sensors provided occupancy/vacancy capabilities which added another 20% in energy savings to total over 70% for the building.

Truly Scalable

Once the initial LED tube installation was proven successful, the team moved onto more focused needs such as 277 VAC dimmability and room scene customizations which were easily accounted for and integrated into the existing Toggled iQ platform. Additional capabilities are available if/when desired such as adding a Toggled iQ gateway to provide future analytics and artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities.

  Industry

Activity Center

  • Provides wireless dimming at 277 VAC
  • Further optimizes energy efficiency
  • Allows platform to easily upgrade to additional smart products down the road whenever the need arises

  Goals

  • Improve overall user functionality and add the capability to quickly change room lighting output to match required room activity levels

  Solution

Upgrade to Toggled iQ networked lighting controls featuring Bluetooth® low energy (BLE) wireless mesh technology

  • Provides wireless dimming at 277 VAC
  • Further optimizes energy efficiency
  • Allows platform to easily upgrade to additional smart products down the road whenever the need arises

  Results

  • The initial Toggled iQ LED tubes installation generated an immediate energy savings of over 50% from traditional T12 fluorescents. The addition of Toggled iQ sensors provided occupancy/vacancy capabilities which added another 20% in energy savings to total over 70% for the building